A wallet backup protects your Bongacoins against computer or software failure. It may also help you retrieve your funds after your device was stolen or lost.
Make sure you’re familiar with your wallet before loading it with Bongacoins.
If you lose the backup and can’t access your wallet for some reasons, your Bongacoins are permanently gone!
Remember: Always encrypt your wallet with a strong password to make it more difficult for an attacker to steal your coins!
This method is used by Bongacoin Core and comprises of backing up a wallet.dat file. It’s a file that holds keys to spend outputs, addresses, transaction information, and other metadata such as contacts.
It has a different location based on an operating system.
Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/Bongacoin/
Locate wallet.dat and copy it to another device only you have an access to. It may be a USB drive, CD, another computer or your private home cloud storage.
specially care with wallet.dat, save it into TWO different drives, not one!, never do CUT and paste, do always copy and paste, and don’t drag n drop either it’s dangerous specially with touchpads hehe, if you don’t have two usb hard drives for the entire blockchain, do a full backup in your USB drive, and then save in a flash drive only the wallet.dat.
You may also copy it to a cloud storage such as Google Drive or Dropbox but make sure it’s encrypted.
Anyone that gets access to the unencrypted file will be able to steal your coins.
Note: If you use Bongacoin Core make sure to backup wallet.dat file regularly after every ~100 transactions. This way you make sure you have backup of all wallet and change addresses.
To Restore a wallet backup please follow these steps.
- If Installing the wallet on a new computer run the wallet install file again.
- Open the wallet once and then close it. (this is so the wallet will create the data folders)
- Find your Bongacoin Wallet files folder
- If you are on Windows you find your wallet files here
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bongacoin (Click window start button type %appdata% and press enter )
- If you are on a mac the wallet files are located here:
Library > Application Support > NoLimitCoin2
library may be hidden > press ‘alt’, Finder Menu > GO TO > ‘library’
- Rename the wallet.dat file to something like walletold.dat
- Copy your wallet.dat file backup into this folder. Make sure the file is called wallet.dat
- Now Open the NoLimitCoin Wallet
- Wait for the wallet to sync and download the blockchain again.